Thursday, June 16, 2011

Running - Better Than Drugs

My week is finally turning for the better.

Josh had a bit of a bad day on Wednesday which meant that I had a bad day on Wednesday and Thursday (I always have to go one better). He left to go to work on Wednesday and simply couldn't face it so he turned around and came home. He's only been there a couple of months so it's too soon to be taking time off so I of course get freaked out that he'll lose his job.

We did a lot of talking on Wednesday. There are some very big advantages to having a work-from-home job. Being available for your kids is one of them. I told him that I thought he needed to get more in control of his life. He's like a whirling dervish at times. We had a long weekend last weekend and he spent every night out with his friends. All night out = not enough sleep. There was too much alcohol consumed and alcohol is a depressant. Not enough sleep + too much alcohol = a not-very-happy Josh.

So we nutted out a bit of a plan to help him cope better with his life. Less alcohol. More sleep. More exercise. Being more organised. Putting more positive things in his life than negative ones.

Needless to say, though, I still worried for most of the day and into the night. The worry pervaded my dreams and a nightmare woke me up and kept me awake for ages so I turned off my alarm and said goodbye to any chance of running hills in the morning. Sometimes sleep is more important.

But because I didn't run in the morning it freed me up to run that evening and I did. And I had company. Josh decided to come with me. We had a lovely 12k run in the dark wearing our safety lights (Josh has special lights that flash disco-style and look like he's having a party all by himself) and Josh's mood was SO much better. Running is the BEST anti-depressant.

12 comments:

  1. Great to run with your son. Good luck to the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me wonder if they ever, ever grow up.
    Nothing better like running to relieve stress.
    Hope Friday is a happy day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Char, sorry to hear that you've been worrying...so hard NOT to do when it comes to our children...at any age. Sounds like you guys have a pretty good relationship..this is great. You sound like such a supportive and loving mother and Josh is so lucky to have you to be patient with him...gently guiding and encouraging him and not giving up on him. Sounds like some lessons he will eventually learn for himself and iron out but no fun learning them. Hope you get some better sleep tonight! And yes, Running is better than any drug on the planet! We could make a fortune if we could bottle this stuff up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, you know I have my worries about my kids and it seems like there is always something! I hope it doesn't keep you up any more, you deserve some good rest and some pleasant running.
    Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess we never stop worrying about our kids, no matter how grown up they are. Must have been great to run together. Good luck to him with his job etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you! And it is so great that you can talk about all that stuff with him, and on top of it, go out and enjoy a long run together. What a great relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with you 100%! I just wish it was easy to convince some non-running people about this. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And running doesn't come in a pill! Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heartache can wear you out sometimes! I hope he sticks with the running and this is a turn for him!! Happy thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope Josh finds his way... it must be hard for you, trying to help him straighten things out. Glad you had a nice run together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Running really makes you feel good! Take care!
    Good luck to you and your son!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A mom like you and running are the right solution.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.