Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pass and Fail

I wanted to check in and let you know how I was going with my new and better habits (ie moving more during the day and eating less sugar.)

I'll start with the first - moving more. And I'm starting with it because it's been a stellar success with really not too much effort (apart from the effort of being on my feet and walking rather than rolling around the room.) I've spent a lot more time standing rather than sitting to cut out and honestly, it's a much more effective way to work.

While I was sitting down I think I worked a bit slower. I had to keep rearranging the fabric to suit me rather than rearranging me to suit the fabric. I haven't accidentally rolled over Toby's tail with my chair all week - probably because I'm actually getting up off the chair to walk and get what I need. And I've been making extra trips upstairs to get stuff that I need. So if I was to grade myself on this week's performance, I'd give myself an A+++ (because an A+ just doesn't seem enough for how awesome I was).

And as far as the sugar goes - well, I'd definitely have to give myself a D- there. Yes, I'm walking upstairs more to get stuff that I need but it seems that the things I most need (and yes, it seemed like a need at the time) was lollies. (Or sweets. Or jubes. For those of you who don't speak Australian). I said I wasn't very good at the dietary denial thing.

I think a lot of my problem stems back to my Garmin. That's right - I'm blaming a watch for my lack of self-control. But my Garmin has been giving me permission to eat more. I do a run and after the run all the data spews onto my computer and all I see is how many calories I've burnt. And my mind immediately translates those calories into a big flashing 'all you can eat' sign.

Of course I'm supposed to be eating a little more now that I'm running a lot more. But I really don't think that the extra calories should all be refined sugar. I don't even like how my body feels after I've eaten a whole lot of sugar - my heart pounds and I feel a bit sick. But somehow I find it hard to stop. A little like Mr Creosote on Monty Python's Meaning of Life.



I lasted a whole day trying to be super-restrained. And on that day my food choices were pretty impressive. When I wanted just a little more after my salad and chicken lunch, I chose an apple. And I made sure to brush my teeth early that night so I wouldn't be tempted to snack late. The next day was a total bust!

 My last resort will be to make sure I don't have any lollies in the house because I can't eat them if they're not here.

But even if I do manage to rein in my sugar intake I will NEVER make a sugar-free cupcake. I just don't see the point.


15 comments:

  1. OMG Look at those cupcakes. You are very thin and fit especially considering the delicious things you cook. I think you have tons of will power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear god.... those cupcakes look awesome..... How could you resist??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my....those look delish! I totally agree that I work faster when i'm standing...i'm an office worker and we just got standing desks and it's been awesome...I find i'm almost more engaged mentally when i'm standing...plus it's been good for all the injuries I've been having to stand occasionally and then sit when i'm tired. I've seen so much stuff lately about how bad sitting all the time, it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the movement. I've always found that pretty easy to add to, as long as I paid attention.

    I just ate a baggy full of chocolate chips, so no comment on the sugar from me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now you know why I run every day... and my wife is in the gym every day!!! we like nice food!!! Chocolate is nice food!!! And I can't say no to a sexy cupcake, so I'm stuck running 100+km a week. It's not about running marathons, it's all about eating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah sir, but it is only wafer thin! Funny how when you purposely try and restrict something you crave it with a vengeance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be hard - if you've got heaps of calories to 'spend' - keeping the calories for healthier options. I'd be thinking.... 'Damn, I've worked hard I can eat what I want." Which is probably true calorie wise, but not if you don't feel well for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your A+++. I'm with you on the sugar though, I just can't stop either. That cupcake looks incredible, if it was in my kitchen I'd have to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They say it takes 21 days to change a habit. I think you will eat less sugar eventually but changes don't come overnight.
    I don't feel well with too much sugar either and think that's a good thing because I don't eat too much of it at once :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea how you don't weigh 700 pounds with the delicious things that you bake. I know I would. I would make a batch of cupcakes and then eat the whole thing :) lol. Great job making changes to your sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you were American, you would start a lawsuit against Garmin! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would not fit out the door if I made cupcakes half as fine as those. Sugar habits die hard. Or in my case, they live on in infamy.
    I'll bet Toby's tail thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How I desperately wish I was your next door neighbor. I'd gladly help you polish off those cupcakes. (You have much more will-power than myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The AND says we get 200 "discretionary calories" My questions(s) is: can they all be sugar! Or Char's cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, I can't resist good chocolate. But sugar isn't my weakness - savoury snacks are. (Hello, crisps.)

    I just did the Perth City to Surf marathon this morning - along with about 2000 other marathoners - so I think I can justify some crisps today. And sugar - I've just had a gelato... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.