Monday, June 14, 2010

4-0 Plus a Red Card :(


So it's official. Australia pretty much sucks as a football powerhouse. For all of you who aren't glued to your tv's over the next month, the Soccerooos were comprehensively thrashed by the Germans. Yes, we never really expected to win but one goal would have been nice and losing one of our key players to a very soft red card just added insult to injury. I'm generally good at predicting red cards. If I gasp loudly enough to make the dog think he's done something wrong, it's a safe bet that it's a red card offence. Tim Cahill's tackle didn't raise a peep out of me. Still I will sit up till a ridiculous hour next Sunday morning to see if we can regain some dignity against the Ghanaians.

After yesterday's ignominious loss I took myself out for a relaxed 12k run. I was all set to do my usual Monday loop when I got the urge to break out of my mold. Instead of turning off to the University, I ran straight - across the bridge over to the OTHER side of the river. This was exceedingly daring of me. I never run across the river unless I'm in a group! (and there's really no reason why I don't - the people there are perfectly nice) The reason why it was so daring is because I don't know where any of the toilets are over there, whereas here in my comfort zone, I know I never have to run (or walk really quickly depending on my desperation level) more than a kilometer to find a loo. Luckily the toilet gods smiled at me and I didn't have to go.

Today's speed session was quite brutal. Coach Chris had devised a session which involved running loops up and down an incline. It was more like a hill session than a speed session. I found myself running with a new member. I'd break away from her on the rep and she'd catch me on the recovery. It helped push me along and kept me from slacking off.

Tomorrow's a rest day and I get to sleep in (little cheer). This is our last hard week of training before we start to taper for Gold Coast and I'm looking forward to easing back for a while.

14 comments:

  1. You'll always have swimming down under, right?

    Sounds like a great speed workout--good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well...just be glad soccer is not your national sport :)

    You are such a speedster! Im sure even your relaxed 12K is way faster than my race pace! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny about the toilets. We have so few toilets that one that is available is a real treat. But there are lots of bushes if needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on crossing the river! Hope the loo situation was favorable! The speedwork sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say I'm into the soccer hype, but I am sorry about Australia...I have a good friend that lives there so I was cheering for ya! Hills are awesome speed workout replacements, glad it went well...and I totally understand about the toilet situation...haha! I'm trying to map out my long run tomorrow but need to be sure it's where I can "go".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I would trust those folks on the other side of the river. I mean, there's a reason they live on the other side...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the soccer. Our team will probably not go to far as well, but we’ll show them in the rugby next time! I always respect people for doing speed work. That’s awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ouch!
    I actually turned on the comupter to reply to your comment. (my new palm is not allowing me to comment so I have not be able to do much).
    I hope I did not offend you. I generally speaking do not walk in training or races however, I have stopped at water stops to get my fluids in and I probably took a few steps. In my ultra, I did walk around at the stop to simply keep moving. There is nothing wrong with walking, it's just a training chose I've made. Again so sorry if I offended you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work on the runs, and way to venture out of your comfort zones. Wondering where the nearest potty is has always been one of my biggest concerns. :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for going beyond that comfort zone! Enjoy your relative rest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so hoping that by some miracle Germany would lose. I like to see surprises and since Poland (my native country) had not even qualified (the HORROR!!!) I can root for any team I please. I actually don't have much time to watch the games but I am following scores. Hey, at least USA got a tie with England.

    Nice job on your running.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found your blog. :)

    There's always Rugby right?! ;)

    I married a NZealander. Crazy rugby fan. PLEASE don't beat us in rugby. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor socceroos but England were pretty crappy too, and we're not good at any sport! Wait till the Olympics in a couple of years, you'll win loads of Golds...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness there is only one sport I am really interested in.. My head would spin otherwise! I will stand in a moment of silence for your players :L

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.