Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Time Trial


Coach Chris has a little evil streak. I'm not dissing him - he'd fully agree with me and rub his hands together in delight. He'd told me that we were doing a 3 k time trial at speed yesterday but he didn't tell me the rest.

So yesterday I rock up at 5:30 only to be told we're starting the session with short sprints. We NEVER do anything before a time trial EXCEPT the warm-up. It put the fear of God in me. How was I going to survive sprints with the time trial at the end? So I did what any reasonably intelligent, scared runner would do. I held back a little on the sprints.

We did 12 sprints then had a 2 min breather and then we lined up. I tried to go out conservatively but of course my first k was the fastest of the lot - 4:27. The second k I just tried to maintain speed but conserve energy. I did slow a little - 4:37. The last k was just holding on for dear life and trying to finish without barfing - 4:33. Finish time - 13:37, a good minute and a bit less than in Feb. My best ever time is 13:10 but on a different course which only included 2 turn-arounds (yesterday's had 5!) and one up-hill (yesterday's had 3)

Am I happy? Yep! And today I've managed to talk my no 2 son, Josh into coming down to Sydney to do the half marathon in September. Happy ... I'm overjoyed!

8 comments:

  1. What a nerve wracking way to start the day, but you did terrific! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like progress to me - rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it--holding back a bit on the sprints. Yes, we'd all do that and I'm sure everyone else in your group did too. Great job on your TT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is fast! Way to go! I’m not one for speed and have lots of respect for you. Yeah for your son running the half!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our coach always wants us to do short sprints before speed work. I usually try to get out of it to conserve energy, though he swears it will make my legs move FASTER in the end.

    Congrats on the time trial improvement!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job talking your son into the half marathon! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You are so fast...great job!

    How cool that your son will be running a half-marathon with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always like how I have to get my conversional calculator out when I read your posts :). Great job, girl!! And that's cool your son is going to join ya in Sydney. I'd love to do that one day!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.