Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Week After the Marathon


This week has been strange. It's so weird to go from running 70k weeks to not running at all. But I've got to admit that it hasn't been too hard lying in bed till 6:30 every morning.

I've had a lot of time to reflect over the whole marathon thing this week and what I've realised is that I have the most amazing and supportive people in my life. From my husband who came along for a weekend in Melbourne but just had to do what I wanted (because it was all about me). To my boys who never questioned what I was doing and all sent messages that said how proud they were of me. To my running friends who got nervous for me and sent texts of support both before and after the run. To my non-running friends who sent weather updates and gave me a painful post-race massage. And then there were all my bloggy friends. How amazing is it to get messages from all over the world?!! I would never have believed that reaching a personal goal could become such a community event.

I've also had time to reflect on where I was a year ago. I was at a point where I could hardly run more than a kilometer without becoming exhausted. My heart rate was through the roof and some days I just had to lie down on my workroom floor and rest to get through the day. Now I can run for hours and, yes, my heart rate is pretty up there but I think that's only to be expected.

What really brought all this to the fore was a conversation I had with one of the assistants at my supermarket. She asked about my running and I told her about Melbourne then she went on to say how much improvement she'd noticed in me through the year. She could see it in my face and my general demeanor how much I'd been struggling at the beginning of the year but now I was full of life and happy. Wow - I didn't realise how easy I was to read.

So where to next? I'm taking it easy for the rest of this 4-week cycle then I'll be building up to do the Kurrawa to Duranbah run in early December. It's a 25k run along the coast line and, even though it's pretty hot, the views are just amazing. Then (and I'm saying this in my tiniest voice so no one really hears yet) maybe I'll think about doing the marathon in Canberra.

And finally - joy of joys - I have my washer working again!! I've got to be one of the happiest women in Australia today.

PS - the picture is of one of the leotards that I made for the Commonwealth Games. Dani and her team mates won gold in the team event.

12 comments:

  1. I had to smile at your post. Sometimes these races and goals become everyone's race and goal. You really end up feeling the support and love from everyone and it's taught me to reach out to others and be more supportive. It's so fun to experience everyone's training and races via blogging and/or by being there in person to cheer them on. Sometimes, it's more fun than doing it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG and I thought that was you in the leotard jumping for joy at the marathon finish line. Well done on your marathon finish. Isn't it a brilliant feeling to cross that finish line. The leotard is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear you are relaxing and enjoying it. It is strange how we feel after reaching a goal like a marathon finish. Only someone that has also done it can know how you really feel. That 25km sounds like a great run. The leotard…you are absolutely amazing!

    “full of life and happy…” wonderful to be a marathon runner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very impressive how far you have come. The leotard is gorgeous! And that 25K along the coast would be just my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place to be in! I'm happy for you.

    That 25k sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on how far you have come in a year - just incredible! And so rewarding to know that others are noticing too. Enjoy this down time - you earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not look at the face, just those beautifully toned legs and was going to comment on how beautifully the marathon training sculpted your muscles. I bet it did.
    That leotard is really cool.
    Congrats on a washer. No wonder you are happy. Most runners have post marathon blues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, enjoy this relaxing time before starting a new program. I am happy for you and your goal achieved: a very fast marathon. Now go for the 25 k.!
    Have a good week end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the break!! You earned it! And then...in a little while, think about that marathon again. You def have some unfinished business!!!
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing to look back on isn't it? And yay you for writing it down too. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was interested to your post because I've never run a marathon.
    Have a nice weekend Char!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that the marathon aftermath is so positive for you! And a big "yay" for the repared washing machine...and the gorgeous leotard, wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.