Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tale of Two Birds



I spoke a little prematurely yesterday about no injuries. It was raining pretty heavily most of the day and one of the chickens was doing fence patrol when she caught sight of a small sodden lorikeet hopping around our back yard. I was in the workroom and her antics attracted my attention and, being an ex-vet and lover of animals (except the ones that poo in the middle of the night where you can walk in said poo), I thought it was up to me to rescue the poor defenseless creature.

I got a towel and threw it over the lorikeet. It wasn't happy about having his freedom curtailed and his squawks made the dogs almost manic. I took it up to Sam so he could look after it while I was looking for a cage. I opened the towel a little but put my finger too close ...



Those birds have really sharp beaks! But that HAS to be the end of my injuries for a while - that's the third one and bad things only come in threes. Don't they?!!

My second birdy tale involves the Rockettes. They've been a little parsimonious with their eggs lately and when I went down this morning I reached under the one on the nest to find there were NO eggs. They've often given us one egg but never none. I lifted her up a bit to make sure I hadn't just missed feeling it and, sure enough, nothing! But she was being really patient with being disturbed so I gave her a nice pat and some kind words and, like magic, an egg appeared. Talk about fresh!

8 comments:

  1. Ouch! And what a choice of finger the bird got you at too! That's it...no more injuries!
    You must have the magic touch for getting the chicken to lay an egg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Talk about fast food. My cats usually bring birds in already dead - glad you could save one today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa - that's one fast egg! Hope your finger (and other injuries) heal soon. Try to stay out of trouble for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A heroic rescue brings with it certain risks. That injury is a medal for valour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the Black Night, a medal for sure. I hope that's it for the injuries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! Those lorikeets can be nasty! Glad you got a fresh egg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop! It's just a flesh wound. No need to amputate...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.