Sunday, October 4, 2015

Saturdays Are For Running And Cake

Last long run on Saturday and I'm officially tapering.

It was another doozy. Almost three hours of running. Just over 32k. And the weather's starting to get warmer so there was a lot of sweat!

The run had started well but about 14k in there was a bit of an emergency. One of those 'never trust a fart' emergencies. One of the challenges of starting runs at 4:00am, besides the whole waking up at a time that starts with a 3 and the running on only a few hours sleep aspects, is the fact that a lot of Brisbane's public toilets are locked overnight. And we, the good people of Brisbane, are not expected to require the use of said facilities until the oh, so reasonable hour of 6 am.

It wasn't quite 6am. And it was no longer dark so the bush/tree/lush foliage option seemed less attractive than it normally does. Luckily one of our group knew of a nearby convenience. And when it was locked, hammered on the window of the local coffee shop to get the key. Okay, hammered might be an exaggeration but tapping politely doesn't convey the urgency I was feeling at that particular moment and therefore my extreme gratitude. Ian, I have to thank you from the bottom of my .... not heart - something geographically south of there.

That's what running friends will do for you.

They will also remind you why you ever thought running a second marathon in a year was a sensible decision. By organising a 'we've finished marathon training' epicurean event (also known as a sugar binge) to a bakery whose photos on Facebook we've all been slavering over. Running for three hours means never having to say you're sorry to the occasional sugary treat.




They look good, don't they?! I really tried hard but I just couldn't indulge for breakfast. I went with the eggs on toast option and after that there was no room for cake. Damn my small, pathetic stomach that has no staying power!

It was a really nice way to celebrate completing another big block of training. Hanging around, talking about running and dogs and events and food and Melbourne (where we'll be running the marathon in a couple of weeks) and New York (where some of the others will be running a marathon a few weeks after that).

I'm sure we looked like a bunch of hard-core athletes to all the other diners there. Tanned, lean, muscular, full of the joy of living life to its fullest - at least until the food hit our stomachs and the stupid, early start began to catch up to us. Someone yawned. Then someone else did. All of a sudden the party was winding up.

And the moment that we all got up and started to walk away from the bakery was when collective super-athlete image was shattered. There were low groans and there was hobbling. Not one of us (except for the one recovering from injury and the dog) could manage a walk that didn't look like it belonged in a nursing home.

For those who are wondering, I did eventually get my sugar hit. A little bit of cake decorating is what everyone does after a three hour run isn't it? And one cannot decorate cakes without a little sugar accidentally getting into one's mouth. And a little chocolate. Or a lot of chocolate if I'm going to be perfectly honest.

This is the first cake I've ever named. It's called 'Party - The Aftermath'


And that was how I spent my Saturday.

15 comments:

  1. Love 'Party - the Aftermath' and glad you eventually got a sugar-fix in Char!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I got up at 3ish and ran all those kms my excretory system would shut down to favour my vital organs. Good on your friend for saving you. Splendid cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also out for about 3 hours, but will summer is also almost here (cape Town) you would have thought it was mid winter! I was cold and wet and i had no cake afterr my run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the post workout hobble, I know it well...
    Love the cake - and it's name!
    Enjoy (??) your taper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know those early morning runs well (though not quite as early), as do I know the call of the bushes. Nice run and those desserts look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your long run, Best of luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah the joys of early morning long runs. I had a late night run on Friday and found myself in dire need of facilities, so the woods and I had a private moment, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are you talking abut? Eggs on toast, without cake, is a good breakfast. I don't think your stomach is small. I love bread with honey and walnuts at breakfast.

    Your 'Party The Aftermath' cake looks delicious. It may be perfect as pre-race meal :)


    ReplyDelete
  9. well done on the run!!! I normally cant stomach real for an hour or so afterwards..............coffee & a protein drink is about all I can manage. Good luck with the event!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are never open in the morning so I've started running in the dark and make my husband tag along so he can keep watch while I'm in the bushes. Well done and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's an idea. All I need to do it find someone's husband who'll run with me.

      Delete
  11. I love your running group. It's so nice to run together and have breakfast afterwards.

    The cake looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an epic cake. Was it for an epic party or were you just partying vicariously (because hangovers and mopping don't lend themselves well to early morning runs)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best partying vicariously - at home in my pj's. The cake was just an idea that I wanted to try. Half of it is still in our fridge.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, send some this way then!! Although it's probably too late now.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.