Sunday, September 16, 2012

Weekend Roundup

It's been a tough few days. The heavy personal stuff that I mentioned in the last post is still there and will be for some time yet and to be honest, I haven't been dealing with it that well. In fact, I've been dealing with it that poorly that I went to the doctor on Friday to get some help. Sometimes problems are just too big to deal with by ourselves and we need to reach out.

My doctor was wonderful. She listened empathetically and has suggested I see a psychologist to give me tools to deal with my anxiety because staying up all night and worrying isn't working so well for me. I know that there are some people out there who think there is a stigma attached to seeing a mental health professional but I am not one of them. I actually think it's crazy to struggle on with a problem when there's someone who can help bear the load.

So after I saw the doctor I had the best sleep I'd had in days just in time for Saturday's long run. I was a little worried about how I'd go on the run. I knew where we were supposed to be going and knew that it was really hilly so I opted to go my own flat way even though I'd be doing it by myself. But I'd only had one good night's sleep in four and hadn't been eating very well on Friday so I needed to allow myself to walk if I found the going tough.

And surprisingly, I didn't find the going too tough. I kept my pace nice and relaxed. Kept my heart rate slow. And lost myself in the beauty of the river and the rising sun. And I managed to distract myself from my worries whenever they crept in. What I'd planned as a 12k run/walk became a 15k run. Magic sometimes happens in the early hours of the day.

After the run I hung around a little longer to have a coffee and a chat with the squad. BEST DECISION OF THE WEEKEND. I got to download a little to one of the world's best listeners and just got to feel normal for a while.

My normal M.O. when I'm worried is to suck inwards. To hide away into a cave that I've dug for myself and sit there and let the worries fester until I make myself physically ill. Spending time with people is actually a way better management plan. And that's what I did a few times over the weekend.

I also baked. Because baking keeps my mind and hands occupied.

Caramel Mud Cake with the works.

The caramel mud cake was covered in a caramel butter cream. Then I drizzled milk chocolate ganache over the top and threw on lots of chocolates. It didn't quite turn out how I'd planned but next time I'll refrigerate the cake after I've put on the butter cream so the ganache doesn't ooze quite so far.



Banana Cupcakes

The banana cupcakes were originally a couple of nasty black bananas in my fridge. I covered them with a white chocolate ganache and a honey, cinnamon butter cream. So much better than tossing those horrible-looking bananas into the compost.

***

What do you do when worries get on top of you? Has anyone got any great tips to share?



13 comments:

  1. Glad you found some strategies to help you. I am one to keep things close to my chest as if by doing that I can make them go away. Stupid I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry you're dealing with some heavy stuff, but really glad you were able to hang with some of the running group and decompress.

    i used to be one of those people who thought that mental issues were..pardon the pun..all in people's heads and thought why can't they snap out of it?! then when i started to go into a depression about five years ago, i realized that it's not joke so glad you went to talk to someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Char,
    Sorry to hear you've been up against it but I probably would have done exactly the same thing. If you can sort out the sleep thing, I think the rest will come naturally.

    Take care,
    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That mud cake looks divine!

    I'm glad you've been able to find someone to talk to (including the doctor) as it sounds like the doctor's appt even helped. (A problem shared.... etc. - I can't actually remember the end of the quote).

    Take care!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your personal worries. The thing is, you come across as so positive and on top of everything, it's shocking to hear that you're struggling with anxiety.
    Great that you had a wonderful run, and that caramel cake just looks incredible. Hope things improve for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Establishing an empathetic relationship, between doctor and patient, is a practical way to integrate the fields of psychotherapy. I think that she, your doctor, is really clever.

    What would I have done? I would have tried to talk to someone ... who is able to "listen". That strategie really helped me!

    I love caramel cakes! So glad to hear about your enjoyble run!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that mud cake is too good for me to look at! I've been having a chocolate craving for a few weeks now and nothing seems to be enough chocolate! Take care of yourself, I will think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you are in a tough patch right now. But I am happy that you sought out help. Perfect way to deal with it. I hope you continue to speak up and feel better.

    Wow on that baking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it!! I'm glad you reached out to someone. Keep in close contact with your friends, especially those that will let you get it all out. I know for me just talking helps more than anything. Take care of yourself!

    on a different note, oh my that cake looks like pure heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that you are going through a rough patch. I agree wholeheartedly that having someone to talk to, friend or professional, is so much better for you than keeping it locked inside. I'm glad you found a couple of people to talk to and finally got a good night's sleep.

    Hope things turn around for you soon, Char :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a wise woman to reach out for help. I have done so in the past, and a trained professional can really shed some light on stuff, making you see things differently.

    Glad you had a lovely run! Running is a great way for me to feel better in general.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry you've got heavy stuff to deal with right now. I hope it resolves fast. I'm a big advocate of therapy. It's done wonders for me. I'm glad the run was good for you. That in itself is good therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am trying not to put on weight because I am not training and my life must be lazy to recover.
    So you can understand that it is a torture for me to see those wonderful cakes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.