Thursday, June 13, 2013

It's All Done With Smoke And Mirrors And Industrial-Strength Underwear

I'm feeling strangely uplifted today.

Could be that the new bra I bought this week has special anti-gravity properties. Man, I love physics - and I love how physics can be used to counteract its basic laws. A few bits of elastic, appropriately moulded foam, some pretty lace and lycra and some industrial-strength wire can wipe away the effects of three hungry babies and 50 years of gravity.


Actually I'm thinking that I should lengthen the bra straps just a little - my mammaries aren't used to the altitude and I don't want them suffering from lack of oxygen. So maybe I should acclimatise them by extending the straps way out then tightening them a little every couple of days. Doesn't altitude training result in the production of extra red blood cells to help minimise the effects of the lower oxygen concentration? So wearing a more uplifting bra should eventually result in me being a better endurance athlete. And a perkier one.

So you can probably guess from the new bra that I did finally manage to go underwear shopping this week. Sans sons. And a whole new world was opened up to me. Who knew that there was underwear that really negates the need to ever exercise again? That would probably be every woman in the developed world except me. 

I thought that it was only by hard work and privation (or being one of the genetically blessed minority) that women were able to look good in clothes. Not so. Apparently you can manage to slim off kilos just by squeezing yourself into a modern-day corset.


Spend a good twenty minutes wrestling this thing on and not only will months of substance abuse (my substance of choice is peanut m&ms) be forgiven but the glute-deficient amongst us can instantly blend into a crowd - no longer to be mocked by their more well-endowed sisters (who can probably twerk). If only they'd had these years ago when I spent most of my weekends sitting on concrete watching the boys play football. I would never have had to bemoan my lack of god-given padding or the fact that I'd forgotten to bring a cushion again.

See Coach Chris - there's really no reason to run hills. Apart from developing strength and stamina. Why go to all the trouble when you can give the illusion that you run hills and do squats in your spare time?!

I can't help but feel that it's all a bit of a con job. And that there must be some mightily disappointed men out there who go to 'unwrap their present' only to find that it's not what they were expecting.

But regardless of my moral misgivings I will be wearing said garment of medieval torture. The French said it best - 'Il faut souffrir pour etre belle.' One must suffer to be beautiful.



15 comments:

  1. You got something with a cushion in it? I may need to look into this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought you were going to model for us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, is that you in those "tights"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I wish. That stomach has never housed a single tiny human.

      Delete
    2. Too funny--you are so right! Good luck with it.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, that is really funny! I just picture some poor sole's face when his present finally pops out of the wrapping :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OUCH - just looking at the picture of that girdle thing makes me cringe. I hope you don't have to wear it long - looks uncomfortable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those undies are attractive. I'm sure you don't need any such device. I couldn't wear one in case I ate a cake and got into discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wondered what men think when the woman removes the little silicone "cutlets" from her bra. Has to be a disappointing moment for them both :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man I love the comment about the men unwrapping the present to find out it's now what was expected! There must be extra flesh somewhere. It can't just disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though I know they help, I wouldn't wear them. Too uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before I had read your answer to coach dion's comment, I really thought it was a picture of you.

    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't actually have any 'shaping' underwear, but then again I wear nothing fitted (other than leggings) so there isn't much point!

    I agree on the 'faking' it concept. I actually feel a bit like that about weight loss surgery (or boob jobs, tinted contact lenses etc). I'd feel obliged to tell everyone the truth which kinda defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place. "Oh, I'm not this slim, I'm wearing a girdle." Kind of things.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Quite the gift wrap :) I'm not sure I would be able to stay comfortable for a whole evening, but I can see the utility for a special evening with a nice slinky dress :)
    I agree, no babies were likely born from that woman!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it always makes me laugh when I see the pics that advertise spanx or other types of shapewear...those models don't need it! what they don't show is how when you put those things on, the flab (not that you have any, you totally don't need shapewear!!!) has to go somewhere and it usually spills out the top and bottom...I know this from experience!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.