Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's Arrived

Yesterday I got a visit from my postman. Usually he comes and just stuffs things into the letterbox and goes before I realise that he's been. But yesterday was different. He came right up to the house and insisted that I come out. I had to sign his little book and then he gave me this -



Which I promptly tore open to find this -



That's right. The International Running Flag of Friendship has arrived! And just in time. I have my 5k race on this Sunday and I'll be taking this



for a little run. I hope it doesn't weigh me down too much. Then it'll be sewn on to the big flag and be sent on its way to San Diego to visit Chris. Get your flag ready Chris and thread that sewing needle.

I'm trying hard not to think too much about Sunday's race. It's a pretty small event at the University of Queensland and I know the area really well. It's an almost flat course - just a couple of small rises - so that's good. I'm just a bit scared about the pain that will be involved, what pace I can maintain without totally dying, and basically being unprepared. Does that sound like I have a crisis of confidence? Yep, I probably do. I've been running pretty well in training but the moment I think about racing my legs turn to jelly. I'm trying to trick my brain into thinking that I'm just going on a training run and if I feel good I'll push a bit harder than usual.

So watch this space for a race report in the very near future and, Chris you can start keeping your eye out for a parcel in about a fortnight's time.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! Luckily this Manly Runner knows how to sew too.

    I hope your race goes well. I heard once that 9 times out of 10 the things we worry about never come true. So, worrying won't help. And, if the pain comes, it comes. Deal with it then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. Have a great race!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I look forward to putting my own mini flag on the friendship flag :)

    Good luck on Sunday! I'm sure you'll do great...as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this flag idea. You will give the flag proper send off after the race- I have no doubt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Char! My Mom is doing better I guess...she is still hurting but hopefully she will see a doc soon and get an MRI to see what is going on. Thanks for asking girl. So exciting about your race. I know exactly what you are talking about with the fear and nerves. I wish I knew a trick to get in that sweet spot where you just feel that peace of just going out to kick ass in a workout! Just do what you know you have trained to do and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Don't let your nerves get the better of you - you will do well, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!!! Good luck at the race! I'm sure you will do the flag proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I'm really excited to see the flag on its first international visit. All the best for the run! I'm sure you'll do great. Can't wait to see your flag on the big one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so great to see and hear about the flag from various bloggers. Have a good race.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck, and enjoy your 5k race. Exciting deal to share in the flag with runners from all over!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.