Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Little Bits of Life

No theme on the blog today - just a couple of random bits of information.

The flag is on its way. It was posted this morning and I was told it would take 4-6 days to arrive. Not sure if that's working days but I guess Chris K can expect it sometime next week. And he might also find a little surprise in the parcel just for him.

I woke up this morning to howling winds - the type that are virtually shrieking at you to stay tucked up under the covers. So what did I do? I sucked it up and hit the road. Told myself that I wouldn't regret running but I probably would regret not running. It was cold but it was such a good run and I didn't regret it.

I learnt an important lesson on parenting from an unusual source yesterday. I watch a lot of recorded TV while I'm working and, I hate to admit this in a public forum, one of the shows I enjoy is Cougar Town. (because I can so relate to being some hot cougar)


The episode I watched yesterday was about Jules and her need to control the life of her son (an on-going theme). It struck me that I had a little bit of Jules in me when it comes to Josh. Since his problems last year I've been trying to micro-manage his life and really it's time to step away and let him manage himself. He IS 22. He has a degree and a good job. Sure I don't always agree with everything he does but what parent does? Funnily enough, I don't do this with Sam (23) and I think it's because he moved out of home for a year while he was at uni. I think that time away matured our relationship and stopped my tendency to over-mother. So now I need to give Josh the same respect and trust that he will make the right decisions for himself - not MY right decisions.

8 comments:

  1. It must be hard stepping back from your sons' lives. I'm so glad my son is 5 and I am totally in charge of his life (or so I think).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I can relate to being a hot cougar, too (not! ha ha!) but I do have to admit I enjoy that show too - especially the stuff between mother and son, can be hilarious and at the same time thought provoking. I suspect I am going to go through the same things you are going through as mine get older. Hopefully I can keep a sense of humor about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter is here at my side as well. It worked out perfectly. My last 15 runs had and average of 6°C. I run very early. This morning was my last run before Comrades. It was 7°C. Tomorrow 0°C is predicted as a strong cold front moves over today. I read this and wonder how things will be when my son reach that age. He is 10 now. My Comrades number is 10389. My progress should update on my FB wall as well if their app actually works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you send Chris K a new toga? He needs a new color other than the white. Maybe a hot pink toga?
    Good luck with stepping away from Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm certain my kids would say I control their lives - especially my 20-year old. I think they're on drugs, there's no way I'd ever do that! :)

    You TOTALLY need to be on Cougar Town!!! Meow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't watched this show yet, but I'm thinking I should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, some deep motherhood thoughts here. Seriously, this is big...letting go and trusting that the work you did to raise them is enough and now it is time to let them make their decisions. They will appreciate this too. :) I know this is going to be a hard one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your RIGHT decision!!!! Our decisions are always RIGHT.....
    Joking of course.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.