Monday, May 30, 2011

To Run Or Not To Run

What's the best way to finish off an excellent weekend? Of course the correct answer is - to get sick! Yes I know I had a cold a month ago but I decided that it was just so much fun that I had to do it all over again. Iven's been sick with man-flu most of last week and, being the loving and giving man that he is, he's decided to spread the joy. Sam and I came down with it almost simultaneously.

Sam came home from work in the middle of the day yesterday for a long nap but I toughed it out all day yesterday then convinced myself that I didn't feel so bad this morning and took myself off to speed session. No, I wasn't feeling too bad until I actually started moving and found that my body just didn't want to. We were doing a cycle of 2x300m repeats followed by an 800m (all with 200m float recovery) and the cycle had to be repeated till Coach Chris said enough. Well, my body said ENOUGH way before he did. I managed two full cycles then the 2x 300's. But the whole time it felt like I was running through mud.

And of course I have a race scheduled for this Sunday and now I don't know what to do. I could do the 10k I've registered for and do it really slowly. Or I could downgrade to the 5k. Or I could pull out all together and get them to carry over my entry fee till next year. Decisions, decisions!!

Any suggestions?

11 comments:

  1. Oh no, sorry that you're not feeling well! Take it easy for a few days and get as much rest as possible. I'd play it by ear with the race - a lot could change by the weekend! You may feel loads better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just me, but I don't like casually running 5k or 10k's. I say roll it to next year. I can see running, not racing, a half or full only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When do you need to decide by? If you can wait do. Otherwise I think I would roll it over. What a great option to have. We usually just lose the fee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you will feel better by Sunday. For now get as much rest as you can.
    Sending good vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say roll over Char! Take care of that body. No fun running it casually...you'll only feel bummed. you can run casually on your own! YOu know the answer. Take care of Char!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would wait until the last minute and see how you feel on the day. Don't do it if you're still feeling rough. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote would be to defer until next year and let yourself truly get well. I've learned that lesson the hard way more than once. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, you have all the flu luck! Just keep that luck, ok? I don't need it. I say see how you feel in a couple days and if not better, then roll it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drink lots watgerr, do the 10K and sweat out what is ailing you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh that is EXACTLY when my flu came on strong: during speed work!
    I can't imagine doing anything longer than a 5k and even that was brutal and I was very much on the upswing of the illness (so I thought). Trust me it's hard not to press. Plus it's depressing to think you're pressing then see you're really running snail's pace.
    I hate to say it but I think I'd defer til next year.
    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Chris...even running for fun might not be too fun if you aren't well. Take care of yourself and I hope you are better by Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.