Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Public Service Announcement

I just have one thing to say today. A Public Service Announcement if you will.

Because there are just way too many stupid people in the world.

NEVER STOP AT THE END OF AN ESCALATOR

Yes, this might be a special message directed to the three generations of one family, including a baby in a pram (those prams make very efficient escalator obstacles), who decided to do just that. When I was standing behind them. Closely behind them.

I'm not sure what was so urgent in that pram that it caused all three (maybe I should say two because the baby didn't have a choice) to stop dead right at the bottom. Baby wasn't crying. It was sitting up and gurgling happily so it hadn't stopped breathing and wasn't in immediate need of resuscitation. My guess was that it was in imminent danger of starvation from the food that was proffered. But surely that could have happened another few steps away. So I could have exited the escalator without having to do an awkward little dance on the ever-changing bottom step.

It had me in a bit of a tizz because the only other time that I've tried to go against the flow of an escalator ended up with scrapes, bruising and public humiliation. And it killed any desire in me to break rules and take unnecessary chances.

Luckily there was no scrapes, bruises or public humiliation today. Probably because I'm more fleet of foot than I was at the age of 10. Speed training has obviously paid off big time.

But I've decided that in the future I might adopt this method of travelling on escalators to avoid inconsiderate fellow escalator-riders.


And if anyone has any idea of how to safely dismount from this position I'll be truly grateful.

16 comments:

  1. People are idiots!!!
    I also hate when people walk into a big store like Target and stop right in front of the door so that no one else can walk in - MOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since when are prams even allowed on escalators? Yikes! Thank heavens you're so nimble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really replying to Marcia but it wouldn't let me comment and I can this way! Sorry, Marcia. Just wanted to say there are WAY too many stupid people in the world and this is a good example. How did you keep from yelling out the F bomb or something similar?

      Delete
    2. Believe me, I was yelling them in my head.

      Delete
  3. Oh god!!! We have very few escalators here in Hervey Bay. For that I am grateful. We have lots of roundabouts though. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't "they" fine people for doing that in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing you were able bodied enough to avoid a collision! Love the Superman video - ha, something to try next time we take the tube in London (or not)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I avoid escalators at all costs. For obvious reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He, he--what is wrong with people? If anything, though, you achieved a good lesson in patience, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also end up behind idiots like that often. Or maybe there are just that many idiots...

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, my 8 year old is famous for this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the things that amazed me most in London was how incredibly polite everyone was. No one just stopped randomly, everyone seemed very aware of the space around them, and hardly anyone honked their horns at other drivers. I was stunned.

    In the US (at least here in Los Angeles), if someone stopped at the bottom of an escalator to give his/her baby a snack, a riot would probably ensue :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm afraid I'm useless around escalators. I'm scared of them. We didn't have any up here in North Qld (Hill Billy territory)and when I was a child visiting the big smoke I stood at the top hesitating about stepping on and some impatient old bat behind me shoved me forward. I fell a few steps and have been nervous ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always manage to make me smile! I was coming by to check in and see how you're doing...sounds like your sense of humour is intact :) I know this was not funny and pretty irritating, put your way of describing it all is entertaining! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate when people do this (and Singapore has a ton of escalators). For me, it's right on par with those who board a subway car....then stop JUST inside the doorway. Because, you know, the person standing behind didn't REALLY want to board anyway, ya know?

    And yet, you still manage to make me crack up over this most annoying scenario. Think anyone would mind if I caught a ride on the top of the subway train? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.