Thursday, November 11, 2010


Today my little Luke turned 17. Today my little Luke had his last high school exam. Today I've finished with high school forever (except for a graduation ceremony). Today I enter the next phase of my life.


I've never been someone big on change but this is a change that I've been looking forward to for a while now. I've really enjoyed my boys' education. I've enjoyed watching them learn academically and socially. I've enjoyed their school friends and their friends parents.

It's been 17 years since I first dropped Sam off at his Grade 1 class. !7 years of packing lunches, ironing uniforms, helping with homework, rushing kids out the door at the right time, making sure instruments got practiced, library books got returned, sports uniforms were packed and bathing caps were powdered and returned to swimming bags. 17 years of reading notes, signing notes, going to parent-teacher meetings, making sure payments were made on time, buying textbooks and pencils/rulers/erasers/protractors. This has been an epic journey and I survived.

Freedom has never looked so sweet or felt more well-deserved. It's time to start looking around to find some options to fill in the extra time I'll have. I could do a pilates class, that cake decorating course I'd planned on or maybe write a novel. The most important thing I'll have to do is keep my eyes peeled and my mind open to opportunities.

Hello world! What have you got to offer me?

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Luke!!! A big milestone for both of you, for sure! Make a list of all those "to do" things and start checking them off!! FUN!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have lots of free time and enjoy it but believe me they will still need you in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'm just starting on that epic journey with my oldest. I'm looking forward to it too, though. Enjoy your time - sounds as though you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That change is still a couple of years away for me. It is going to feel very strange.
    Enjoy your hard earned new freedoms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so in the middle of what you are describing! I am looking forward to my youngest moving up to secondary school at the end of this year. Congratulations on coming through with flying colors and a very happy birthday to your son! And if you are thinking of writing a novel, check out www.nanowrimo.org - maybe you want to take the challenge with me next year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your freedom, you've most definitely earned it. There will probably be a few new challenges but this is a big change for sure. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Luke and YAY for your upcomong freedom!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.