Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Getting Ahead of Myself


Remember how not just five days ago I had a good run? Well on the strength of that run I set myself a goal for speed session this week. The goal - to run the entire session. And I achieved that goal. And I felt pretty good afterwards but I didn't have my high GI carbs straight afterwards. By 9:30 I was feeling pretty average but a hot chocolate and a rest picked me up.

Wednesday was rest day but I got woken up early by my early-departing workers and didn't get a rest later.

Today I dragged myself out of bed after resetting my alarm a couple of times. In hindsight I should have turned it off. I was out the door by 5:30 and was attempting to emulate last Wednesday's 11k run (okay it was 10.77 but 11 sounds better) My legs felt heavy going up Stanley Tce but it's all uphill so I just took it easy. My heart rate wasn't too bad. I hit the crest of the hill and from there it was all down for a while and I started to feel a bit better. Crossed Moggill Rd and up the hill to Indro shops, down through the train station and then up Harts Rd. I think that's where I became unstuck. One of my friends lives on the street and her husband was standing out the front. I said hello to him and then headed up the hill (another hill!!!) but ran it a little faster than I should have just in case he was watching. (Silly, vain woman!) Boy was I tired when I got to the top. My legs felt weak but my silly head kept pushing me. I got to the bottom of the next hill and realised that this was ridiculous so I walked. Then I reassessed the rest of my run and cut out the last loop. I got back to Oakman Park, saw that I'd run 8k, which was what Chris had set, and walked the last little bit home.

We learn more from our mistakes than from our successes and today's lesson was - Pride cometh before a fall. I need to stick to my run plan and hold back. I am feeling fine now. Will rest again tomorrow and then a LSD run on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.