Friday, January 29, 2010

The Fine Line Between Pain and Pleasure

Today's Saturday which means LSD (not the drug but the session type)I'd been looking forward to this session all week because for the first time this week the temperature was going to be sub-30 (Celsius). Driving to the start I realised that even though the max temp was going to be a little better the current temperature was no better and the humidity was in the 'gross and disgusting' range.

Coach Chris had decided to take us a different direction this week - out to Queensland Uni and across the Green Bridge (It's nicknamed the Green Bridge because it's eco-friendly but it's actually called the Eleanor Schonnell Bridge) then along the Brisbane Corso and back. Nice route but the hills!!! I haven't done any hills for such a long time and they felt HARD. I was feeling the pain.

When I got home I checked the run's stats from my Garmin and was so demoralised to see my average heart rate. It was a little over 170bpm. (yes, I know it's high but my max HR is also high) But then I checked some of my previous runs and four weeks ago I ran a flat 12k in similar weather conditions and today's run was a couple of minutes faster, my average heart rate was a little lower and that run had been FLAT! This is where the pleasure comes in - I'm cautiously optimistic that things are on the improve. My fatigue levels are sooo much better, which is just as well because I'm not on holidays any longer which means I don't get a daily nap.

And on the home front - only two more Iven-free nights. Poor Ive, he has no idea that his absence can be such a source of pleasure. Tonight I plan on going to bed really early with my book, reading late then sleeping in star-fish pose. You gotta make the most of your opportunities.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean- I savor those alone moments too. I think we all need them. Oh, hills! They are rough, but keep thinking of the ultimate reward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it so hard to imagine 30+ degree temps right now! In the summer, I'm wishing for winter and in the winter, I'm wishing for summer. Just can't please runners.

    Thanks for your comment!

    (I love sleeping in the starfish pose when hubs is away.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.