Saturday, January 30, 2010

More Guilty Pleasures


It's finally come to that time of year. The time of year where light can finally be seen between the trees, the oasis in the desert is finally visible and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is just within grasp. That's right! You guessed it! It's the end of the non-ratings period on TV.

I don't know about other countries, but here in Australia the eight weeks straddling New Year are a tv-viewing wasteland. We, the tv-viewing public, are treated with complete and utter contempt. We are exposed to hours of re-runs - CSI (you choose the city), NCIS, Cold Case, The Mentalist - whatever they've shown in the last twelve months is fair go and I would like to say that my dementia is not quite advanced enough that they seem like new episodes.

So today starts the ratings period and this week there's a virtual smorgasboard that we can choose from. In fact there are so many choices some nights that our PVR cannot cope with all the recording.

I'm especially excited about tonight. Sunday nights are traditionally takeaway nights in our household. We buy fish and chips or hamburgers and sit and eat them in front of the tv. Tonight we get to eat our junk food and watch Biggest Loser. It seems so wrong to do this and that's probably why I like it. It's a bit like poking my tongue out and saying haha look what I can eat. (Yes I know they can't see me even though I can see them) Today the Biggest Losers will be at their biggest and they will cry at how they've let themselves go. And I will feel virtuous because I'm not like them and I can eat junk - just very occasionally and in the context of a pretty healthy diet.

Sometimes I realise that there's a little bit of evil in me.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, ha! I love the picture in my head of you eating junk food and watching Big Loser...yes, I do sense a bit of evil in you but I like it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.