Monday, May 17, 2010

Think Before Speaking


My post today is on how you should engage your mouth only after thinking.

Poor Josh continues to be a little sad about his breakup. He's trying to distract himself as much as possible so he decided to go stag to a friend's 21st on the weekend. He spent the evening fielding questions about Teresa (where is she? when did you guys breakup? what happened?) which made him feel pretty ordinary. But the one comment that made him feel the worst came from the birthday boy - Why don't you just get back together? As if it's up to him.

My second example of stupid comments comes from a pharmacy assistant. I had to get some medication for a female problem last week (okay it was thrush - yuk!) I asked the assistant what was effective and she asked me if I'd used anything before. I told her I wanted to try the tablet and she agreed that it was a good choice. Then (and this is the stupid question) she asked if I had symptoms. Of course I had symptoms. How else would I know I had thrush?! It wasn't like I'd had a premonition or read it in my daily horoscope. It was hard not to give her a scathing, are-you-serious? look.

So my thought for today is a quote that my Aunt wrote in my autograph book when I was young - "It's better to be silent and let people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

4 comments:

  1. Ok, now you've got me hooked. Who is this Josh and why did they break up! I'm fairly new to your blog, so I must back read!

    Thrush. Hmmmm, I've had a friend who has had that, some nasty stuff. I can't believe the comment. Does she think that if you hadn't had symptoms you would be in asking for medication just for the heck of it?

    I wonder about people sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty good quote! Poor Josh. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote. My mom always says it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I could keep my mouth shut if a pharmacist asked me a stupid question like that. OK, maybe I would just do 'the look' thing.
    Hope Josh gets over the breakup soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.