Monday, May 14, 2012

Thankful

Mother's Day 2012. A day for appreciating my family. A day for being appreciated. A day for appreciating my Mum.

Mother's Day was the same as it is every year for me. I go for a run. We go out for a lovely breakfast together. Just me and my boys (yes, that includes Iven). Then I bake a bit. For afternoon tea with my Mum.

My Sunday run followed a Saturday run of (drum roll please) 13k. It was a good 13k - 7k with the group then I turned around and went home. Sunday's run was even better. I ran 10k without stopping - except for the traffic and for the man who waves at me whenever I go the uni way who wanted to give me the first Mother's Day kiss of the morning. Not sure why - I'm not his mother. I even ran up the hill (which Iven deprecatingly called a little slope).

When I got home the boys were starting to emerge from their rooms - almost unheard of at that hour on a Sunday morning. We were out of the house 15 minutes before we'd planned - also unheard of.


Josh decided that ice cream was an appropriate breakfast food as long as he paired it with coffee.


He also decided to rebel against the constraints of society.


Baking was birthday cakes and caramel chip biscuits for the afternoon tea.

And then I got the best Mother's Day gift ever - a one hour nap!!

Toby got to visit Grandma and his two doggie cousins that live at her place, for the first time. Benny was a congenial host. Pete was not.


But all that puppy play and people-greeting and being cuddled left him all tuckered out.

And the day left me thankful. Thankful for my three healthy boys who are still happy to spend time with their Mum. Especially thankful that there was no lasting damage from last week's assault. Thankful that my health is improving. Thankful to be part of a close extended family. Thankful for the glorious weather and for the time to be able to enjoy it. And thankful that I have a cute and cuddly little ball of fluff to keep a smile on my face.

And that gratitude has rolled over to today. I'm thankful that work is quiet and I can get other stuff done during the day. I'm thankful that the courier company, who lost all the work that was coming back from the machinist last week, found it early today. I'm thankful that I gave Iven a slow-cooker so dinner was made before midday.

And my sense of gratitude has become contagious. Even Josh was expressing gratitude this morning. He was incredibly grateful that the weather has turned cold so he can now wear a sweater to work - no ironing for three or four months.

Has Mother's Day left you with a sense of gratitude?






14 comments:

  1. I went for a run on Mother's Day too. It was my best gift!

    I'm impressed by the distance you ran both on Saturday and on Sunday. I would have thought you would need to rest after Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post! I'm all choked up! I'm so happy for you and that you are able to run "happy" again! Happy Mommy's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just getting caught up - so glad your son is ok! How scary!

    I'm glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day. It always makes me take stock and appreciate how good I have it. I wouldn't change a thing - I'm pretty lucky that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for your 10K run! Glad you had a good day, your boys sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your day sounds perfect! You do have lots to be thankful for and I'm happy you do.

    I like Josh's idea of breakfast! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful Mother's Day with a nap and all.
    Glad you are running so well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect weekend! So glad you had a great mother's day. so special. I still don't know if I could actually eat your cupcakes without feeling guilty for ruining something so beautiful. Good job on running!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had such a great day. It is really awesome how your running is coming along. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect day! Ice cream and coffee sound perfectly reasonable to me too. I'm so glad you are feeling good and killing those runs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. What a perfect way to spend the day.
    Love the no standing sign. Awesome.
    Ice cream for breakfast sounds pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the ice cream and coffee. Sounds perfect to me. I had a wonderful wonderful day with my son! Very grateful. And a good long phone call with my daughter. And of course Jax snuggle time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just catching up and so sorry to hear about your son getting attacked when he was out! Glad he is doing okay, though. It is so scary as they get older and move out into the world where we can't take care of everything for them anymore.

    Glad you had a lovely Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a happy Mother's Day. I spent Mommy's Day in Naples (South Italy) where my mother lives.

    Josh's decision about ice cream with coffee seems interesting. I'll give it a try next Sunday ... If my wife buy the ice cream :)

    Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a lovely day - glad you were able to enjoy it! Happy Belated Mother's Day!

    AWWWWWW Toby! *melts*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.