Monday, December 5, 2011

Feeling Strong

Today I had the best speed session that I've had since September last year. And that's without exaggeration. I document all my speed sessions - keep a record of the session, my lap times, my heart rate and even the weather. (Okay , so it might make me look a little obsessive-compulsive but I'm now at an age where I don't really care what other people think)

We've done this session at least once a month over the last couple of months. It's 1k reps with a 100m walk recovery. I personally think 100m isn't quite long enough so I compensate by walking really slow. At the beginning of October I did the session with my first rep starting at 4:37 and my 5th rep being 5:10. So much for keeping it consistent.

Two weeks after that we did it again and I started out slower (having learnt from the nasty experience before). I started with a 4:56 then it was 4:44, 4:54, 4:58. And the final rep I only made it to the 500m mark before having to walk. My other runs were going pretty badly too BUT I had a plan of action (which I mentioned a few weeks back) to work on my strength and to increase my protein intake.

So fast-forward five weeks. I felt like I was taking it easy on the first rep - but I always feel like I'm taking it easy. I thought about my running form. About having a faster cadence and to try to keep my bodyweight over my landing leg. I lapped my watch at 4:37. Not too bad, but probably a little fast and I would be paying for it later. For the second rep I concentrated on the same things as the first while playing the last song I'd heard on my car radio over and over in an endless loop (Don't know the name of the song but the only words I know from it are 'you'd better run, better run, outrun my gun') Time for the second rep was 4:38.

Now I knew that I was definitely going to pay for my foolhardy ways. The next rep was going to really hurt! But I kept my legs ticking over and pushing and lap 3 finished in 4:41. I did two more reps - 4:49 and 4:48 - and they felt hard but I did not feel at any time that I was going to die! (Which may or may not have happened the last few time I did this session)

And this is coming just a day after a 10k run where my average pace was 5:21/k. Lately I've been running around the 5:40-5:50 mark and, admittedly it was a little cooler, but I know I'm feeling stronger and way less tired just generally. So am I happy - hell, yes!

But on a less happy note - we had a little visit from our neighbour the other day. I think most neighbourhoods has one of these people - an older lady who rarely leaves the street, knows exactly what's going on and is happy to let you know when your noises are bothering her (I still think she hasn't forgiven Sam for all those morning trumpet practices of The Last Post when he was 12). She stopped Iven and I as we were trying to make a quick get-away in the car to let us know that she wasn't happy with our recent installation of a garage door because she couldn't tell if we were home or not.

She leant into the window and it was then that I noticed that the most strategic of her buttons had come undone AND she wasn't wearing a bra under her dress. Poor Iven! He had the best view. He swears he didn't look but I'm sure he got a quick peak before he realised he had to look away. I don't think he'll ever be able to look her in the face again.

12 comments:

  1. That neighbor sounds like a real piece of work!
    Nice job on the speed. You must feel great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for feeling so strong on these 1000...this is awesome Char. Such a great feeling to feel strong doing something that might have made us feel like dying before. Great reward.
    So funny about your neighbor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you on the speedwork - sounds very fast to me!
    LOL on your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, the unintentional boob shot. Sometimes worth it - other times not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate speedwork but it's necessary...good luck! and I laughed really hard re: the neighb

    ReplyDelete
  6. The neighbor is a piece of work! That is really funny. and how dare you tinker with your garage!

    Great work on the speed--that feels SO good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That workout really increases your speed! Good speedwork! Do you do that running drill once a week?
    I'll do it tomorrow!

    Funny about your neighbor :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have the best stories to make me giggle.

    WELL DONE on the speed work. See? This is why it's GOOD to keep such anal.. I mean, detailed... reports!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job on the strong speed work, doesn't it just make you feel so strong? Love it and it's neat that you appreciate it!
    FUNNY on the boob shot :) !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job on the strong speed work, doesn't it just make you feel so strong? Love it and it's neat that you appreciate it!
    FUNNY on the boob shot :) !

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great split times! I'm awed by people with your kind of speed. I think I'll need to incorporate more sprint training if I want to get any faster. Usually I'm just happy to finish a race of any kind, 5k, 10k, half, etc. but I'm getting to a point where I want to start breaking some PRs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.