Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Guilty Pleasures


I know, I know! My last post was all about being wealthy without the need for things BUT I couldn't help but be a little excited to see this on my doorstep this morning AFTER I'd been out for breakfast the second day in a row.

I didn't once for a minute believe it could be a surprise gift that Iven had bought for our forgotten wedding anniversary. I've been married to the man for 27 years and I'm used to the way he operates by now. Guilty presents for forgotten events are not part of his repertoire.

                                  

No, this is my own little guilty present to my feet. I'd forgotten just how long ago I bought my last pair of runners (No, last week's purple ones don't count. I need two pair in my rotation). For the last few weeks my feet have been sore after every run and hurt when I get out of bed in the morning. And that's a sure sign that my old shoes need to be put out to pasture - to run free and frolic in green pastures without my heavy clomping wearing them down.

These are the Mizuno Wave Rider 16 and I can't tell you which of my new pairs I like the most - probably because I haven't actually run in these yet. But if it's just on colour I think the red might just have the edge. They passed the trying-on-straight-out-of-the-box-without-socks test with flying colours. Don't my feet look fast in red? And doesn't that strapping make my ankles look sexy?!!


But as much as I love the new colour, I WILL NOT be buying a matching bra this time. Only hussies wear red unmentionables and I'm no hussy!

Unfortunately the quick arrival of these shoes have left me with a small dilemma. I didn't actually tell Iven I was ordering them. He's just about over the shock of the purple pair. And I'm wondering if it's just a little too soon. 

Will he survive the shock of seeing me in this racy pair?  Was this my evil plan all along - you know, the ingenious, evil plan where I fed my husband cupcakes full of saturated fats which elevated his cholesterol and filled his arteries with lovely sticky plaque that at the first sign of elevated blood pressure (ie - when he saw me in these) would break off and block a vital coronary artery and then I'd be FORCED to wear an inappropriately short animal print skirt (and a red bra) to his funeral because, of course, that was his dying wish.

But I digress.

They're languishing at the bottom of the wardrobe in their box at the moment while I make up my mind what to do. I'll probably just tell him that it was a buy one-get one free deal. Or maybe I'll just butter him up with a nice cupcake before I do the big reveal. (Cue evil laugh)

***

I wanted to share this picture with you. I saw them as I was walking up to my other guilty pleasure - that second breakfast out in a row. They're bush Curlews and they live at the University of Queensland. The first time I saw them I thought they were ornaments because they stood so still but I've realised that they're the bird equivalent of a Living Statue, earning a living by standing motionless in bronze paint.


This was the first time I've ever seen a mini-me curlew. Cute!


20 comments:

  1. I'd say "oh these old things? I've had them for eons."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shoes! I'm realizing that despite rotating through three pairs, I may be at the point where I need a new pair soon. If only I could find one I love...

    Cute birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So he doesn't read you blog!!!

    I know what you need to do, run a race and wear them... What new shoes, no I've had these for a long time, these are my racing shoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - he doesn't read my blog. But I read him all the posts he stars in. He just rolls his eyes and eats another cupcake. No one can say that he wasn't warned.

      Delete
  4. Those shoes are awesome! Good luck in getting away with those (however, isn't it true that men are more apt to be colour blind than us?????)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think they are great and look super! And you need at least two pairs that look equally good. The birds are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I betcha he wont even notice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoe envy!!! I've been online stalking the Mizuno Wave Rider 16s - I can't decide if I want red or mint blue. Maybe I will get both and go with the "buy one get one free" deal!!!
    Those birds are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great offer - you should definitely take it up. Then get matching bras.

      Delete
  8. I don't know how things work around your house, but in the Weatherly home, if Michael pulled one over on me like you did poor Iven, all she would have to do show up in the previously referenced red undergarments, and act maybe act like the previously referenced "hussie" for a while ... maybe all would be forgiven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Jim. Don't know why I didn't think of it. It's probably because I don't think like a man ... yet.

      Delete
  9. You know what? I say tell him when you have the red shoes on and then, with all of the 'red-goes-faster' power that they have you will be able to run away very quickly before you see his reaction!!
    Can I ask where you get your shoes from? As helpful as my running store buddies are, I'm always on the look out for a good deal on new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I order them from the UK. I've used both Wiggle and Sportsshoes.com and found them both reliable and way cheaper than the shoes over here. The only drawback is that you need to know what shoes you like and the UK sizing for them.

      Delete
  10. Must be Iven doesn't read your blog or he'll see the plan you've hatched! Do you already own the animal print skirt or is that a package yet to arrive? I have to order my stuff that comes in packages too or I would never get any. I do heart those red shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read them out to him Andrea, if he is the star. He knows my evil plan and yet he eats on. And no, I don't own the animal print skirt but I'm pretty sure I could whip one up. I have some lovely velvet in a snow leopard print :-)

      Delete
  11. My latest pair of Asics are red. VERY red. I hadn't really thought of the matching underwear scenario.... Hmmmm...

    Good luck breaking the news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shoes - are they trail shoes? I've never seen that colour before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooooh, I love the Curlew! I so want to go to Australia one day, and see some of the really cool animals living there! IDK why sneakers are so expensive. I say you wear a sexy running bra top to distract Ivan (sorry Ivan) when you exit for your runs - he won't be looking down, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! The shoes and the curlews.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.