Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Romance of the Run


All week I've been just a little bit stressed. This Saturday is Australia Day and Coach Chris had planned a special run for Australia Day. We usually run from the Regatta and out along the river on Saturdays. But for Australia Day, C.Chris wanted to do something a little bit more Aussie and for the last couple of years he's planned a run through the bush (ie a trail run on Mt Coottha) followed by a barbie (barbecue breakfast) of eggs and snags (sausages).

Doesn't seem too stressful does it? But it might if you hadn't run any hill sessions in over a year. I had to stop running them when I thought I had a hamstring strain in September 2011. Then the hamstring strain seemed to be because of a sacro-iliac joint problem. And then there was the issue of my tight hip flexor. Running up hills hurt and all the hip strengthening exercises didn't seem to help matters. If only I'd realised way back then that I didn't really have any chance of building muscle strength when I didn't have the help of my good friend testosterone. And then I could hardly run at all so running hills didn't seem to be an issue. Until the Australia Day run came up.

I wrestled a lot about whether I should go. I could just go do my usual run by myself but have no company. Or I could put on my big girl pants and just give it a go and not worry about failure.

But I DO worry about failure. Even when it's a run that is of no real consequence. Even when I'm with friends who know about my battle with health issues. Even though I know that if I never put myself out there and risk failure I'll never be brave enough to grow. And that was the cause of my silly stress.

So I had to give myself a stern talking to. First I had to ask myself what was the worst thing that could happen. Well obviously, the worst thing that could happen would be that I had a heart attack and died. But that's probably in the very, very, very low to miniscule range of probable outcomes.

Then the next worse thing that could happen would be falling and breaking part of me. But luckily I've got a tiny bit more muscle on my bones than I did a couple of months ago so the extra cushioning could help in the case of a catastrophic balance failure.

Then the next worse thing would be that I had to walk. And that's when all the alarms and sirens went off. That's really what I didn't want to do. Having to walk would hurt my pride. Boohoo!! I'd forgotten that to be a runner means having to put your pride way down deep in your pocket and just getting out there and doing it.

I want to get back to running hills. I want to enjoy the peace that running through the bush gives - where the sounds you hear are the creeks running, the birds chirping (or crows cawing, or those incredibly loud cockatoos screeching), your heart beating loud in your ears and your gasping for breath  as you near the crest of a hill. I want to see the sun rising over the silhouetted city glowing all pink and golden and know that we're part of a hardy group who push themselves to the limit while most of the city is still tucked up warm in bed.

I want the romance to come back into my running.

Is that something only runners get? Isn't it romantic to run through bush trails, in the rain, or the fog (how can I mention fog without thinking of Heathcliff and Cathy and eerie, foggy moors?), alone or in a group? Doesn't it fill that little place inside that needs an injection of nature on a regular basis to make you feel whole?

So I RSVP'd a big YES back to C Chris and started to look forward to the run. And then Oswald happened.

Tropical Cyclone Oswald decided to pay Queensland a visit. And it started to rain up north - actually, it started to pour. And then it started to flood. And then TC Oswald thought that it might visit a little further south and the weather forecast for Australia Day is now showers and rain. And our bush run and barbie have been cancelled.

So we're running from the Regatta this Saturday. But I won't forget about what I've learned this week and I'll be talking to C Chris about returning to hill sessions. Soon ... Maybe ...


21 comments:

  1. I hope you get to do the previously planned run sometime. It did sound romantic. Who know whom you might have seen lurking in the trees? Maybe Ryan Gosling? I'd run anywhere and up any hill to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're great for doing any running but hate hills! I seriously hate hills!

    As for the rain... I'm kinda relieved here as we so desperately need it. Perhaps this way you get more time to practise your hill runs!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you and I were cut from the same cloth! I have a very strong love/hate relationship with hills; they sure suck when you first start training with them because, yeah, we suck so bad - but man when you're on fire, they feel fantastic. We can only get stronger from here, right? Hills and a barbie after?? I'm coming over right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My SIJ problems have stopped me from running hills - but things are getting better so who knows? Personally I think running (and biking) is very romantic. Nothing like a run under the stars first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought you Assies were a bit soft... you let a little rain stop a trail run and a braai...

    Had a romantic run this morning in the dark through the suburbs with the last of the stars, I fitted right in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, we runners have many romantic moments out there...all alone on the trails especially for me. But some mornings on the road the sunrise just make it special. We've had some serious floods in our North Eastern parts. Very bad actually in some areas. Hope your run is dry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any run can be romantic - it's up to you to make it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yippee for embracing your fear/challenge. Bummer that plans changed but maybe for the best - next time this comes up you will be chomping to run the hills!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tagged you for the Liebster Blog Award :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boo to Osawld. What a shame your barbie had to be cancelled.

    I think I would find running in the rain more romantic if it were more of a novelty...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely understand what you are saying about wanting the romance to return. I hope you get the health issues sorted and are back out there, joyously running amongst the screeching cockatoos and rushing creeks! Best wishes to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be tough...and patient and the hills and strength and embracing will come!! LOVE your cupcake pictures, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You would have to be tough to barbie in this weather ... let alone run in it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Char, I hope your prune-y toes have reverted to their normal state and that you are all staying safe and dry up there! My sister lived in Ipswich 2 years ago and lost her house during the floods and I know you live near there so I hope you are 'high and dry'

    ReplyDelete
  15. You battled the self-negativity demon and won. Good for you..... keep striving to improve!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am also very sorry to hear about the cyclone..... that has to be super scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am also very sorry to hear about the cyclone..... that has to be super scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am also very sorry to hear about the cyclone..... that has to be super scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am also very sorry to hear about the cyclone..... that has to be super scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you talked yourself through this Char! Hopefully, the Cyclone didn't cause too much damage...that must be scary stuff! Looking forward to reading all about your next hill workout :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.